Sunday, June 2, 2013

Favorite Apps in the Homeschool Room Part.2


Today I will be sharing with you our favorite elementary apps. These apps are the ones that help solidify grammar, reading and math concepts. Once again most of these apps were found on the website Smart Apps for Kids. I would encourage you to follow them on Facebook and check out the selected apps that are reviewed and categorized by age and subject.

Early Elementary Reading and Math Apps. 

Operation Math- My son loves this app because it is fast pace and fun. In the game you are a secret agent and you have to stop a bomb from going off but in order to do that you have to unlock doors to get to the bomb. In order to unlock a door you have to enter in the answers to addition questions before the timer goes off and triggers the bomb. Each time you stop the bomb you go to a next challenging mission.



ScootPad-  This by far is one of my most favorite apps that has really helped my son in math. I love this app because you can set up a class for your child which consist of selecting, by grade level, what concepts you would like them to practice. This includes reading and math. The best part is that they earn coins for each correct answer which are able to be used to earn rewards. You as the parent are able to set up whatever rewards you want and determine how many coins they will need to earn that reward. After consistently using this app for a week I seen a huge improvement in my son's math skills.



Grammar Wonderland-  My son loved this app because it felt more like a game and less like a learning activity. You have the option of being a polar bear in space, flying through the sky in an airplane or traveling through the desert all while learning. This app covers many grammar concepts such as nouns, verbs, pronouns and more.


Brain POP Jr-  We loved this app because every week it offered a free video about something that interested my son. Videos range in topic from science, social study to even language arts. 



Bible and Character Building Apps

The Pilgrims's Promise App- When I first downloaded this app I didn't think my son was going to like it because it was not colorful like other apps but I wrong. Both my children love this app! The app consist of the actual text of The Pilgrim'S Progress and a children's animated version of the story. I love this app because it shows the journey of Pilgrim and the various people he meets along the way. This app really helps in starting discussions based on our own attitudes and characteristics followers of Jesus have.



The Beginner's Bible App-  We love this app, it has an option to read different Bible stories or play fun games based off the stories. 


There are so many great apps out there, please share your favorite apps in the comment section below. Also, join me tomorrow will be hosting a giveaway as part of the Curriculum Clean- OUT hosted by Jolanthe over at Homeschool Creations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment