Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tasty.... Thursday!

Funny for the day. Me and the kids made blueberry muffins and we gave them away to some women around our neighborhood. One of the women knows I homeschool and she was like "Oh, wow, homemade from scratch, blueberry muffins. You must do everything!" I had to laugh I took it as a compliment but at the same time was thinking no I don't. I barely cook and I am really trying to be a better homemaker. I follow a lot of homesteaders and they amaze me with all they accomplish in a day.

School for us starts in another week so we are doing some baking before it starts and warming up those math skills in disguise. Why blueberry muffins? I always try to get fresh berries from the farmers market but a lot of times they get forgotten and not eaten. By putting them in  muffins it helps them get consumed and not wasted.

Let's Get Started .... 

This recipe yields 12 muffins. You can double the recipe and make some to freeze for later. 

Next you are going to make a mix for the struesel topping. This step can be skipped if you just want your muffins plain.

Strusel Crumb Topping Recipe

1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Make topping and set aside.\


Muffin Recipe: 

1 1/2 cup of flour
3/4 cup of white sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons baking powder 
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg
1/3 cup of milk
1 cup fresh blueberries

Bake for 25 minutes at 400° F or 200° C.

*When combining ingredient mix dry and wet  ingredients  separate and then combine the wet ones with the dry ones.
*mix the ingredients on medium to low and hand mix berries in the batter.
  
 Tip: If you add the struesel topping a little bit goes a long way. I like to only put a small spoonful on each muffin.


No comments:

Post a Comment